Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My first real experience of Peru came right after we landed in Lima and left the airport. All the missionaries were put on a bus that was to take us to the CCM (centro de capacitacion misional). That bus ride was the scariest thing that had happened to me up to that point in my life! I couldn't believe the bus driver was allowed to own a license. He was driving like a maniac. He went up on curbs and sidewalks to get around slower traffic, was constantly accelerating or coming to an abrupt stop, and honked at just about anything that bugged him. Not to mention I was wide eyed staring at the city passing by through the windows wondering what I was doing! It was quite an experience and I was outwardly relieved when we finally pulled into the CCM. Upon arrival we were told what room we were staying in and to go to our rooms and put our luggage away. After that, we were to go directly to a meeting with our CCM president. Our meeting was like any other normal church missionary meeting; however, the exciting part was meeting our new companions, Latin elders from nearby countries. I was paired with Elder Porroa who happened to be from Peru. I had just arrived in country and was now paired with someone with whom I could hardly communicate with. Talk about being thrown right into the fire! However, hindsight is 20/20 and looking back I realize that for me, this was the most excellent start to my mission. It helped me leave everything in my life behind and focus on my purpose for being in Peru. It also helped me to immediately adjust to life in another country speaking another language. Even though everything was a bit shocking at first, it greatly expedited my development as a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment